Our competition surfaces can be found worldwide being used by the FEI, Global Champions Tour, international racing federations and the Olympic Organising Committee. This range includes the surface developed for the London 2012 Olympics that can now be found installed at world leading venues and the bases of professionals such as Laura Tomlinson (neé Bechtolscheimer), Ben Maher, Emily Moffat, Lara Butler, Shane Breen, Fiona Bigwwod, Michael Whitaker and Piggy March (neé French).
The competition range includes options for all levels and can be installed at local competition venues through to an international event. All of our surfaces can be installed as a permanent fixture or as a temporary event solution. Whatever your level of enquiry, our team will be happy to discuss your competition surface requirements.
- Andrews Bowen ProWax is perfect for competition at any level.
- ProWax is extremely durable and capable of withstanding the rigours of heavy use.
- This high-performance wax coated system is suitable for use by all competition disciplines, indoors and out.
- A waxed, multi-washed silica sand, polypropylene, polyester and elastic fibre blend, ProWax provides a secure and forgiving surface that will reduce repetitive strain injury.
- Horses are able to travel freely over the surface thanks to the synthetic fibres which act as a ‘root structure’ similar to the best turf.
- Prowax requires no watering, is dust free and needs only the minimal maintenance expected for a waxed surface.
- ProWax is consistent and suitable for the very highest level of equestrian competition.
2012 Mix Plus
- Andrews Bowen 2012 mix, the most scientifically researched surface, was developed specifically for the London 2012 Olympics.
- The surface is proven for the full range of Olympic and Paralympic disciplines and endorsed by the FEI.
- The 2012 mix is a very hard wearing surface and capable of supporting the highest levels of equestrian competition indoors and out.
- The 2012 mix is made from multi-washed silica sand, three types of polypropylene fibre and a synthetic binder, delivering a huge step forward in performance surface technology.
Lars Roepstorff, professor in equine functional anatomy at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, has been carrying out research on the properties of equestrian surfaces around the world as part of a long-term scientific footing study for the FEI. He considered the London 2012 footing – on Andrews Bowen surfaces – to be amongst the best and particularly the most consistent he has worked on.
- Like 2012 mix plus, the 2012 benefits from the same scientific research as the surfaces we developed for the London 2012 Olympics.
- The surface is also proven for the full range of Olympic and Paralympic disciplines and endorsed by the FEI.
- For indoor or outdoor use the 2012 mix is a very hard wearing surface and capable of supporting the highest levels of equestrian competition.
- This blend uses all of the same ingredients as the Plus mix, but without the synthetic binder, allowing it to work with a water management system – it’s the perfect partner for EquaFlow, Andrews Bowen’s choice for challenging sites and harsh environments and Olympic-quality temporary competition surfaces.
- While it is beautifully matched to the EquaFlow system, which controls moisture levels using recyclable water – ideal for surfaces subjected to those harsh weather extremes – it can also be used as a traditional surface but will require watering when dry.
ALL NEW 2022 Hybrid Surface
We are delighted to be launch our new 2022 Hybrid surface, one of the most recent products of our highly regarded extensive research and development programme.
- An ideal hybrid of a waxed and unwaxed surface
- Combines the very best elasticity, performance and efficiency characteristics of a waxed surface with those of a sand and fibre footing, replicating the very best turf.
- Using the very latest development and testing technologies, the 2022 Hybrid surface gives the feel of a European footing on home soil.
- Requiring only a small amount of watering, this surface is suitable for the very highest level of equestrian sport
The horses & I absolutely adore our Andrews Bowen Propell surfaces at home. Helping me to enjoy training knowing the horses are experiencing maximum comfort whilst jumping.
We all can’t recommend Andrews Bowen enough!
“One horse we train we were seriously considering retiring due to lameness issues as a youngster. She doesn’t have the best joints. If not for this Propell surface we wouldn’t be where we are with her now – she’s working at Medium and she’s out competing tonight at Elementary and Freestyle in the regional finals. This surface has given her – well all the horses – the right support and the bonus is it doesn’t freeze.”
Charlie & Abi Hutton
“The surface at HOYS was very consistent everywhere and the horses jumped very well off it. No complaints from me and I am full of admiration for the way a potentially very difficult process is made to look so effortless. Taking a car park to a world class arena in one day is no mean feat!”
“Railed with Duralock Fencing and the Andrews Bowen Canter Track Surface, our gallop provides perfect conditions in all sorts of weather for schooling both young and older horses. The ability to allow long, steady, continuous work is particularly effective with horses who may struggle to come up the gallop and has been a significant addition to our training facilities.”
Charlie Longsdon Racing
“Somerford Park Farm has been a long established and leading equestrian venue with exceedingly high standards therefore our decision to engage Andrews Bowen as surface provider was not taken lightly as the high demand and varied use for the surface meant it had to deliver on its quality and sustainability. We are thrilled both with the surface and dealings with Andrews Bowen as a company they have been professional and understanding of the demands required of the surface.”
Millie King – Somerford Park Farm
“Thank you for our amazing Andrews Bowen arena, it is the only surface I could recommend and the ProGrade keeps the surface perfect to ride on. My horses are so much more confident and consistent with their work than ever before. Totally recommend.”
Hamish Tracy Disbrowe
“It was -12 today and yet we were still able to ride on my arena. Thank you, Andrews Bowen and team for the help and support in the build.”
“First class customer service, I’m absolutely delighted with my Propell surface. The arena grader is a high-quality piece of equipment and makes a fantastic job. I would highly recommend Andrews Bowen.”
“With the challenges of running a commercial equestrian centre & the volume of horse footfall we have through our gates; our surfaces need to be exceptional – our Andrews Bowen surfaces have stood testament to this. Andrews Bowen’s after care service has been extremely impressive.”
David Sheerin, General Manager of Wellington Riding
“We are delighted with our fabulous new Andrews Bowen Arena. The surface rides superbly. I can feel a real difference in the horses’ way of going. I could not be happier with it. Thank you to all the team at Andrews Bowen.”